Newsletter Signup | Subscribe to Magazine

Charity Spotlight: The Children’s Center

The Children’s Center is unique in that it offers sliding scale tuition, making it more affordable than typical market rate centers. It helps make it possible for workers in our community to remain employed and productive.

MISSION

Providing affordable, high quality early education and childcare for working families. Always striving to be the standard of excellence for child development and care in the Lowcountry, ensuring every child is ready to achieve success upon entering kindergarten.

HISTORY

The Children’s Center was founded when concerned school principal, the Rev. Isaac Wilborn, recognized the need for low-cost, safe, nurturing care for the children of working parents on Hilton Head Island. Since its early development, the nonprofit has grown from serving 15 children to more than 170, with some on a wait list for certain age groups. The center’s multicultural, bilingual early childhood education program is provided five days a week, year round, for children aged six weeks to eight years. They offer families a sliding-scale tuition program, based on household income. With this program, parents still pay something and are invested in the care of their children.

WHO IT HELPS

The center serves working families throughout the Lowcountry, many from low-income homes. Affordable early education and childcare is not readily available to many families. Indirectly, the services they provide support the economic vitality of our community by allowing parents to go to work each day. When there is no care for the child, there is no employee for the business.

HOW TO HELP

The Children’s Center welcomes community volunteers to work in tandem with teachers in the classrooms. Community members also are welcome to join its board and event committees or donate supplies that can be used in the classrooms. Financial support is gratefully accepted. Approximately 73 percent of expenses are covered by the tuition paid by families and program partners. The remaining 27 percent comes through donations, grants and event support. The Children’s Center depends on the generosity of individuals, foundations and community organizations to continue to serve the youngest in our community.

For more information on The Children’s Center: Visit TheChildrensCenterSC.org or call 843-681-2739 to schedule a visit.