Historic Landmarks Around the Lowcountry
These historic sites and monuments were around the Lowcountry before the swing bridge was built in 1956.
(Local since 1793)
Revolutionary War captain Jack Stoney built Baynard Plantation, part of Braddock’s Point Plantation. His family remained there for several decades until a Stoney heir lost the property to William Baynard in a latenight poker game (you gotta know when to fold ‘em!). When Union forces invaded the island in 1861, the Baynards evacuated the property. It served as Union headquarters shortly before it was burned. Some locals believe it’s haunted.
(Local since 1879)
This historic lighthouse, also known as the Hilton Head Rear Range Light, was constructed at Leamington Plantation to help guide ships into Port Royal Sound. The lighthouse was taken out of service in the 1930s and now helps guide passing golfers on Palmetto Dunes’ Arthur Hills course. Some locals believe it’s haunted.
Fort Mitchel, Fort Sherman, and Fort Howell
(Local since 1861)
Hilton Head Island was home to four military forts at the height of the Civil War. While there is no trace of Fort Walker left, the remains of Fort Mitchel in Hilton Head Plantation, Fort Sherman in Port Royal Plantation and Fort Howell off of Beach City Road can still be seen. More information on all four forts can be found at the Heritage Library.
(Local since 1862)
Mitchelville was a town built on Hilton Head Island during the Civil War for escaped slaves. It was named for one of the local Union Army generals, Ormsby M. Mitchel. The town was a population center for the enterprise known as the Port Royal Experiment, a program in which former slaves successfully worked on the land abandoned by planters.
Sea Pines Shell Ring
(Local since 2000 BC)
This mysterious landmark dates back 4,000 years and is the oldest known archaeological site on Hilton Head Island. The ring is made up of hundreds of thousands of oysters, clams and mussels. It is one of 50 known shell rings found along the coasts of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, all of them dating back 3,000 to 5,000 years.