Are you ready for Mensa?
American Mensa is where brilliance belongs – it’s where friendships are forged for life, business connections and opportunities are made, and where brilliant minds find the chance to engage with others in an intellectually stimulating environment.
Just for LOCAL Life readers: Take the Mensa Practice Test for just $5! Visit americanmensa.org/mht and use offer code: Local21
1. Five words starting with Ja or Jan are defined in the list below. Can you fill in all five?
1) A ringing sound ____________
2) A mercenary ______________
3) A piece of clothing __________
4) Sprightly __________________
5) To chatter _________________
2. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same six letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?
Although the police had a confession, the interrogation cause the suspect to go into a ______ and he now wished to _______.
3. Rebecca wanted to get rid of most of her dolls. She gave one-fourth of her collection, plus 10, to Nancy. Then she gave one-fifth of what was left, plus 10 to Susie, and half of what was left, plus 10, to Cheryl. She kept the last 5. How many dolls did Rebecca start out with?
4. Take a word that means “carry” and change one letter to find pickling solution.
Take a word for a mark and change one letter to find a word that means “without spice.”
5. An eight-letter word is spelled out in the box below. Find it by beginning with the correct letter and moving clockwise or counterclockwise around the box, using each letter only once.
- JANGLE, JANISSARY, JACKET, JAUNTY, JABBER
- trance, recant
- 80 (1/4 of 80 = 20; 20 + 10 = 30, leaving 50; 1/5 of 50 = 10; 10 + 10 = 20, leaving 30; 1/2 of 30 = 15; 15 + 10 + 25, leaving 5)
- bring, brine brand, bland