Are you ready for Mensa?
American Mensa is where brilliance belongs – it’s where friendships are forged for life, business connections and opportunities are made, and where brilliant minds find the chance to engage with others in an intellectually stimulating environment.
Just for LOCAL Life readers: Take the Mensa Practice Test for just $5! Visit americanmensa.org/mht and use offer code: Local21.
1. Find a five-digit number in which the first and last digits are the same and the first digit is two less than the second and four less than the third. The fourth digit is one-fourth of the third digit. The sum of the first and last digits equals the third digit.
2. Find the word that fits the definitions below when it’s 1) a whole word and 2) divided into two separate words.
1) Whole word: to require an employer to hire unnecessary union employees (10 letters)
2) Two words: a. accomplishment (4 letters) b. seasoned with parsley, sage, rosemary or thyme (6 letters)
3. If six bakers can bake 12 pizzas in two hours, how many bakers will it take to bake 16 pizzas in four hours?
4. Fill in the blanks to get the names of four North American cities.
__ __ L __ A __ K __ __
__ Y __ __ C __ S __
__ __ F __ A L O
M __ __ T __ E __ __
5. Our corner grocery store prices its food according to the owner’s whim. An eggplant costs 32¢, a cucumber cost 28¢ and a turnip costs 22¢. According to this system, how much will a tomato cost?
- 1) feather bed 2a) feat 2b) herbed
- 4 (6 bakers make 12 pizzas in 2 hours, so 6 make 24 in 4 hours, so 2 bakers make 8 pizzas in 4 hours, and so 4 make 16 in 4 hours)
- MILWAUKEE, SYRACUSE, BUFFALO, MONTREAL
- 18¢, (5¢ per consonant, 1¢ per vowel)