The ultimate Oktoberfest 6-pack
Beer lovers will soon notice local shelves stocked with many Oktoberfest styles. Here are six great options you can often find in the “mix a six” section at local grocery stores and beer shops. Some are also on tap at local bars. Most are only available until the middle of October, so drink them while you can. Prost!
1. Spaten Oktoberfest Ur-Märzen
The world’s first Oktoberfest beer is still among the world’s best.
2. Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest
This beer is slow roasted with Bavarian barley and uses pure spring water from the Alps.
3. Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier
A full-bodied, bottom-fermented beer with a fine hoppy aroma. The Hofbräu
tent at Oktoberfest is known for its lively atmosphere.
4. Paulaner Oktoberfest Märzen
This full-bodied beer has a masterful hop balance with a rich malt flavor,
dark toffee notes and underlying fruit flavors.
5. Weihenstephaner Festbier
The oldest continuously operating brewery in the world offers this mild, crisp beer
with slightly more hop bite than your average Märzen.
6. Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen
The soft dryness of this light and sweet beer comes from long maturation.
It offers a malty nose balanced with floral hops.
Thrift store find
In September, nothing beats sipping an ice cold Oktoberfest beer from an authentic stein. This rare Kaliningrad stone mug was found behind the glass at St. Francis Thrift Shop for just $20. Stein lids became popular during the Black Plague to help prevent diseased flies from getting into the beer.
Here are a few strong Oktoberfest offerings from South Carolina and Savannah breweries.
- Bierkeller Columbia Festbier (Columbia)
- Birds Fly South Ale Project Flocktoberfest (Greenville)
- Carolina Bauernhaus Oktoberfest (Anderson)
- Charles Towne Fermentory Festbier (Charleston)
- COAST Oktoberfest (North Charleston)
- Columbia Craft Festbier (Columbia)
- Edmund’s Oast House Oktoberfest (Charleston)
- Holy City Oktoberfest (North Charleston)
- Revelry Oktoberfest (Charleston)
- River Dog Oktoberfest (Ridgeland)
- Service Brewing Oktoberfest (Savannah)
- Southbound Oktoberfest (Savannah)
- Two Tides Festbier (Savannah)
- Westbrook Märzenbier (Mount Pleasant)