Official Mensa® Challenge – January 2023
Are you ready for Mensa?
American Mensa is where brilliance belongs – it’s where friendships are forged for life, business connections and opportunities are made, and where brilliant minds find the chance to engage with others in an intellectually stimulating environment.
Just for LOCAL Life readers: Take the Mensa Practice Test for just $5! Visit americanmensa.org/mht and use offer code: Local21
1. Fill the blanks to complete the word below.
_ N _ U _ S _ T _ O _
2. First unscramble the letters in each word below, then unscramble the word order to create a Tom Swifty sentence. (Tom Swifty always speaks adverbially. Example: “I just bought a refrigerator,” said Tom icily.)
TPAEINLYT DASI ETHER MOT
MORO CODS’TOR YM NI
VE’I ENBE IGNITAW ROF SHURO
3. In a spelling bee, Barbara beat Carolyn. Mark beat Bill. Kathy scored lower than Bill. Mike scored lower than Kathy but better than Barbara. What was the order from first to last?
4. In a souvenir toy shop, the prices are set according to the owner’s whim. An airplane costs 12¢, a stamp costs 9¢, a doll cost 7¢ and a top costs 5¢. According to this system, how much will a wagon cost?
5. The 17 letters below can be anagrammed into a four-word saying about gender and attire. The enumeration is (7 4 3 3). What is the saying?
A A C E E E H H K L M M N O S T T
2. “I’ve been in my doctor’s waiting room for three hours,” said Tom patiently.
3. Mark, Bill, Kathy, Mike, Barbara, Carolyn
4. 8¢ (2¢ per consonant, 1¢ per vowel)
5. Clothes make the man.